Workers' Compensation FAQ's

What should I do if I sustain an injury on the job?

First, you must report the injury to your employer. You should seek whatever medical treatment is appropriate for your injury. If your medical care provider authorizes you to miss time from work, make sure that your employer receives a copy of your disability slip.

After I report my injury, will my employer take care of filing my claim?

Upon notice of your injury, your employer is required to report the claim to their workers’ compensation insurance company. However, it is your obligation to file your claim with the Workers’ Compensation Commission. Our firm will be happy to assist you with the filing of the claim.

Do I need an attorney to collect workers’ compensation?

You do not need to have an attorney to pursue your claim. However, unless you are familiar with workers’ compensation laws and procedures, you may not be aware of all of the benefits to which you may be entitled. Should any dispute arise, you may be at a disadvantage in dealing with insurance adjusters and/or attorneys who are familiar with the laws and procedures.

Do I have to advance money to my attorney for him or her to pursue my case?

No. It is against the law for an attorney to charge you a fee in advance for pursuing your claim. Attorneys’ fees are paid to the attorney directly by the insurance company, and only after they are approved and ordered by the Workers’ Compensation Commission.

Can my employer fire me because I file a workers’ compensation claim?

It is illegal for your employer to fire you for filing a claim.

My employer or their insurance company agrees to pay my medical bills and pay me a portion of my wages while I am out of work. I don’t need to file a claim, do I?

Even though your employer has agreed to pay your bills and your wages, if you do not file a claim you may not receive other benefits to which you may be entitled, such as permanent partial disability, vocational rehabilitation, and reimbursement of some expenses. Also, there are time limitations for filing a claim, and if you fail to file within the required time your benefits may be terminated without recourse to you.




1001 St. Paul Street
Batimore, MD 21202

920 Providence Rd Ste 307, Towson

Phone & Fax

Toll-free : 866-752-1581
Local: 410-752-1581
Fax : 410-783-4944